• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

New part to CPC exam starting in June 2012?

CCO-support

Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
Laureen,
I forgot to mention that I read online that there is a new component to the CPC exam starting June 2012. It is so new that a competitor of yours did not have this new "clinical" part on her CPC exam prep guide I was going to order. Can you tell me more about this and will you have this included on your most recent prep guide for the CPC? I will be finishing schooling this December 2012.
Sue

R

Ruth Sheets

This was only an AAPC proposal to allow way to remove the "A" from CPC-A designation more quickly. The AAPC asked for feedback on this idea which was to have a special exam of 20 clinical questions - fill in the blank style. If the examinee was able to answer a very high percentage of the questions correctly they would pass this test and the -A would be removed. However, the proposal was rejected. So there is no "clinical part of the exam" as it stands now.

Laureen talked about this in her 2012 Medical Coding Certification Q & A Webinar. View the replay at www.cco.us and click on Q and A Webinar Replay link. This is a replay club so you get access to all the past replays as well as future ones.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Can AAPC offer this as an optional for the people who wants to get the "A" removed? This would help those with the "A" to find employment once the "A" is removed.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Sorry Carolyn, this is not going to happen. The best way to get the A removed is to clock all your experience. If you went to a school for medical coding you can get a year taken off sometimes. ;)

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I took a class from January to June 2010, took my exam, and did not pass. I study for my exam, took the exam for the second time in June 2011, and pass. I had a temporary coding position from September 2011 to February 2012 and did a good job (for a first-time coder). Will that count to remove the "A"? If so, how do I go about to do this? Thanks for your help.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Carolyn congratulations on passing the exam. :D What you need to do is have the place that you worked create a letter on letterhead if they can and acknowledge or verify your time with them. Then all you need to do is fax or mail it to the AAPC.
Customer Service Contact for the AAPC:
Toll Free Phone: 800-626-CODE (2633)
Local Phone: 801-236-2200
Fax: 801-236-2258
Email: info@aapc.com
Note: Even if you work a week that counts. They are very friendly so call the 800 # if you have any questions.